Whether you take a class or just turn on the music and move to the beat, dancing has been proven to offer numerous physical, emotional and social benefits. Multiple studies show that moving to music is particularly beneficial for older adults. Home Care Assistance, a leading provider of home care in Caledon, presents five reasons why dance is so therapeutic for seniors.
- Dancing and Dementia – Several scientific studies suggest that dancing is more effective at staving off dementia than any other form of exercise. One particular study, funded by the Canadian Institute for Health Information, found that frequent dancing reduces the chance of developing dementia by as much as 76 percent.
- Cardiovascular Health – Researchers at the Lancisi Heart Institute in Ancona, Italy, found that dancing the waltz offers seniors with chronic but stable heart failure the same cardiovascular benefits as traditional aerobic fitness training. Plus, many older adults find waltzing a lot more fun than other forms of heart-healthy exercises!
- Dancing Away Aches and Pains – Numerous studies across North America have found that low-impact dance programs were highly effective at reducing the amount of pain medication taken by seniors. One study in particular spanned over a 12-week dance course, and at the end, participants were able to reduce medication by an average of 39 percent.
- Two Reasons to Tango – A rhythmic walking step is the foundation of tango, which is why the dance is particularly helpful in improving balance and gait function for seniors with Parkinson’s Disease, according to research published in the European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine. Additional studies have shown that dancing the tango is effective at combating depression, anxiety and insomnia as well.
- Social Benefits – Most forms of dance therapy for seniors increase opportunities to socialize and connect with others. Developing and maintaining relationships has been proven to extend longevity, improve overall health and enhance the quality of life for older adults.
To learn more about fun activities for seniors and older adults, reach out to Home Care Assistance of Caledon today. Although we are recognized as the Caledon live-in care experts, we also offer flexible hourly care schedules to meet the individual needs of the clients we serve. Call us today at 905-951-8885 and find out more about our in-home care and our 100% satisfaction guarantee.