Changes in the body’s makeup are natural as you age, but that doesn’t mean that you have to resign yourself to a life of solitude and sickness. As writer Betty Friedan once said, “Aging is not lost youth but a new stage for opportunity and strength.”
At Caledon Home Care Assistance, we help seniors maintain independence and quality of life through daily holistic health practices and have listed some important ways in which seniors can maintain their health and longevity:
- Maintain a Healthy Weight – Obesity increases the risk of developing heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. As people age it becomes increasingly more important to eat right, not necessarily to eat less. Aging adults should ask their doctor what weight is right for them and enlist the help of an in-home caregiver to assist with meal preparation if they have difficulty preparing meals safely.
- Eat Nutrient-Rich Foods – A varied diet filled with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein helps ensure that aging bodies gets the nutrients they need to fight off age-related diseases. Seniors should also be sure to get tested for any vitamin deficiencies to see if supplementation might be a healthy addition to their daily routine.
- Increase Physical Activity – Daily exercise can improve strength, endurance, flexibility and balance. If your aging loved one is not accustomed to physical activity, have a trained caregiver slowly ease them into a healthy daily routine. Older adults can take a 10-minute walk in the morning, dance to music after dinner or try something new like joining a senior water aerobics class.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep – Lack of sleep zaps energy levels, impairs cognitive abilities and impacts mood. Going to bed at the same time every day and ensuring that the sleep environment is dark and quiet can help older adults get a good night’s sleep. If your aging parent constantly wakes up feeling tired, encourage them to see their doctor for helpful treatments.
- Pamper and Relax – Constantly worrying about finances, family or health problems can increase stress levels, which can lead to a number of medical conditions. Whether it’s chatting on the phone with a friend, reading a book or taking a leisurely stroll in an outdoor garden, senior adults should strive to do something they enjoy every day for optimum physical, social and emotional health benefits.
There are many things that aging adults can do to enhance quality of life and overall well-being. If your aging loved one needs a little extra help, a qualified and professional Caledon caregiver from Home Care Assistance is the perfect person to help set up new healthy habits during this stage of life.
To learn more about how Home Care Assistance of Caledon could help you or an aging loved one, call 905-951-8885 today. Our skilled and compassionate caregivers are available for hourly or 24/7 live-in care.