As a trusted senior care provider in Caledon, we know that older adults require a diet that is rich in fiber to maintain a healthy lifestyle. For those of you who may be asking “why fiber?” read on to learn the many benefits of a high-fiber diet, specifically for older adults:
- Digestive Health – Seniors need to eat foods that are high in insoluble fiber to keep a strong working digestive system. Insoluble fiber is found in a variety of foods and helps seniors to avoid digestive problems such as constipation and diverticulosis.
- Diabetes Control – Soluble fiber, found in foods such as oatmeal, lentils, peas, apples, beans, and nuts, slows down the digestion process in seniors. Soluble fiber dissolves in water forming a gel-like consistency that acts as a stabilizer for blood sugar levels.
- Stroke Prevention – Studies have shown that a high fiber diet decreases a senior’s chance of having a first time stroke. Fiber reduces hypertension and high blood levels of LDL or what is commonly known as bad cholesterol.
- Heart Strong – There is a direct link between a diet rich in fiber and a healthy heart. Research has shown a significant decrease of heart attacks amongst seniors who consciously eat high fiber foods.
- Avoiding Kidney Stones and Gallstones – Painful gallstones and kidney stones may be avoided in seniors if the right foods are added to their daily diet. Fiber helps regulate blood sugar and reduces insulin spikes that are often the reason that stones develop.
- Healthy Weight – Seniors who maintain a healthy weight are more likely to be happier both physically and mentally. Eating foods with high fiber content helps people feel fuller longer with fewer calories.
There are many different foods that have both soluble fiber and insoluble fiber benefits. Family members and caregivers can add such foods to meals and snacks throughout the day to promote overall health for loved ones and older adults.
For more information about senior nutrition or how an experienced and compassionate caregiver from Home Care Assistance of Caledon can promote a healthy lifestyle for your parent or loved one, call (905) 951-8885 and request a complimentary, no-obligation consultation with a friendly Care Manager. We’re here to help 24/7.